I’m asked often what it is I do. My answer has been that I work with businesses to develop their customer experience. Far too often all that gets is a blank look and that reflects the lack of understanding around this whole area of customer experience development.
Please understand that I’m not blaming business leaders I’m blaming ME for not being more specific so, here is a little more detail to clarify.
• I work with business leaders to develop their skills around the creation of a team and customer focused culture. Without these skills and this culture any investment in customer experience development will be a cost not an investment.
• I work with businesses to increase team engagement. Employee engagement is very high in this country and is not only negatively impacting productivity but also the quality and consistency of customer experiences.
• I work with businesses to create within their culture the ability to think more creatively. Capitalising on the creative thinking within a business is key to the on-going development of a customer experience strategy. We all have the ability to think creatively it’s just that we are not working in business cultures that encourage this kind of thinking.
• I work with businesses to grow both customer loyalty and word of mouth recommendation. Customer recommendation is now the most powerful business marketing. Customer loyalty comes from building relationships via a consistently delivered, quality customer experience and from that loyalty comes recommendations.
• I work with businesses to take the focus off price as their only competitive advantage. Today we are bombarded with price as the only way to get us in the door. There is plenty of research that clearly shows we will pay more for a consistently delivered, quality customer experience.
• I work with businesses to develop a sustainable competitive advantage in a world where sustainable competitive advantages are rare. Unfortunately we do business in a world of copiers and followers; the result is a world of sameness. A quality, consistently delivered customer experience is backed by a team and customer focused culture. The customer is centre stage and the team are the sustainable competitive advantage.
A slight longer reply to the question however I trust a little clearer. If you wish to know more please don’t hesitate to make contact.
Chris Bell is managing director of Customer Experiences, a company that specialises in helping businesses improve the way in which they interact with customers and clients. – firstname.lastname@example.org; mb 027 2792360 www.customerexperiences.co.nz